Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Anniversary Flight

So How Cool Is He.....
On May 1st 2011 my husband and I had been married 12 yrs.
For two weeks leading up to "our big day" my hub kept telling me he had a surprise for me. The only thing he would tell me is that I needed to have the camera charged and we were dropping the kids off at Grandma's house for a couple of hours. I had no clue what he had planned but I didn't ask either. I'm good at guessing his surprises but I thought I'd let him trick me just this once.  I figured we were going on one of our little adventure walks and I'd be taking nature pictures (which I LOVE to do)
                             On April 27th I had to have surgery on my foot and I asked my hub if this was going to put a damper on his little plan. He said he had called "The Place" and asked if I'd still be able to do our little "adventure" with a walking boot on and they okayed it.
                                 So then came the big day....May 1st. I woke up that morning camera charged! We loaded up the kids and took them to grandma's house. My 16yr old son said he wished he could go and he was jealous. I really had no clue what was planned but my hub kept saying "Boy it's windy out today". Hummmmm why did he care it was so windy?
After the drop off of the kids we went for "our drive" to the "Special place". As he drove I kept thinking "what in the world does he have planned". Well, then there was a turn off that said "Mt Joy Airport". I looked at him with a strange look and asked "Are we Flying?" His response with a little evil smile was "We ARE flying" Okay, my heart dropped and I'm sorry to say I was scared shitless .
As we pulled in I see this itty bitty plane and the wind was just whipping around us. My heart was pounding and I kept thinking "Great, I'm gonna die on our anniversary."
So here I am, just having surgery a few days before, trying to climb into this itty bitty plane trying to look grateful. I thought it was so cool my hub would plan such a thing but did I mention I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!!!
The plane takes off and my heart is pounding. I'm trying to smile and I think I had a death grip on my camera (knuckles were turning white. yeah, as if the camera was going to save me). So we are up in the air and did I mention IT WAS WINDY AS HELL!!!! Yep, every gust of wind we could feel and I'd lose my stomach. I knew we were going to be flying for about a half and hour and I think I was counting the minutes. I just wanted back on the ground where I knew it was safe.
The pilot knew I was a bit scared and he was great. He was trying to joke about positive G forces and neg. G forces and he could show me what a neg G was if I wanted him to. Yeah, okay mister pilot, just fly this thing and get me down.
Well, once we landed I hobbled out of the plane, took some pictures of the plane and would have kissed the ground had my hub not been standing there. Within five minutes of landing I thought it was the coolest thing ever. How awesome is my husband!!!! I couldn't believe he went to all that trouble to make it a special day for me. It was definitely a day I will never forget and was one of the best days of my life!!!

Notice the smile once I was safe on the ground

0 comments:

Post a Comment